Friday, August 5, 2011

Momma's Tips On Water Conservation


I have always been a big fan of saving water. Now that we are under water restrictions shit just got real. We have a lot of animals and plants to keep alive around here and I don't have no damn money so a fine is out of the question.

First I will go over some classics 

1. Don't run your dishwasher or clothes washer unless they are full.

2. Don't leave the water running while you brush your teeth.

3. Soap your hands first then rinse. 

4. I would say when you wash your cars use a bucket, but we can't wash cars any more

5. Water at night

6. Bath young children together or with you. (I make sure mine go pee before getting in the tub)

7. Take your shower or bath with a friend. My husband and I like to bond this way. Added bonus my back is spotless. 

8. Wash your pets in the area of your lawn that needs to be watered. We have also stopped washing pets. My dog smells terrible.

9. Compost veggies instead of using the garbage disposal. Ours go to our pig or chickens. 

10. FIX ALL LEAKS AND RUNNING TOILETS!



 Time to kick it up a notch. Here is some of the stuff I have started doing since shit got real. It is not as convenient, but it's still pretty easy. It just takes more planning.
I love buckets. I keep a little one in the sink to catch the sink water from stuff I rinse off. Actually it is not a bucket it is a old trick or treat pail that looks like a green jack o lantern. Any ways when it gets full I pour it into a bucket on my porch. At night I empty the porch buckets on the plants. 

I take buckets in the shower with me. Not as inconvenient as I thought it was going to be. Also after the kids take a bath I bucket out that water. Then I put them on the porch till night time and then dump them on whatever needs its. 

Be careful when doing this. A little bit of most soaps wont hurt plants, but I don't think it would be good for plants to get nair on them or something. 

One of the most surprising places I have found extra water has been from the air conditioner. There is a little tube on the side of my house that drips out the water from the condensation in the air conditioner. I had no idea how much water this things was dumping out. It fills up a bucket every few hours. Well actually it is a Easter pail but whatever. The water is very clean. I'm not saying you can drink it. No telling what is in those pipes and on your air conditioner.

It has got to rain soon it is just getting sad around here. Deer are coming into the yard to drink out of the dog's water. I don't mind the deer I'm just worried next it will be the wild hogs and coyotes.

P.S. I have heard a lot of great things about water barrels. I myself have never had one even though I really want one. We can't find anyplace to put it. 

1 comment:

  1. The nicest idea that I learned through your blog post is to take advantage of the things that can get you a hold of extra water. Well, yeah, you can really collect the water that drops out from your aircon. It may be just a small amount, but if you can collect a bucket of water out of it, then it’s a big help. You can use it to water the plants, right?

    Lorenza Coon

    ReplyDelete